Teams (left to right): Board not Bored, Rock Wrens, Fledglings
Ready to Join?
It's easy! Gather your own self-guided team or join one of the guided public teams below. Once you have picked your team, register here, and then raise and donate at least $50 (or more!) in order to be eligible for prizes.
Questions or concerns? Email the Birdathon Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- • 24-hour Guided Teams (Any team over 4 hours is in this category. Teams in this category can choose how they want to look for birds - biking, hiking, running, etc.! Some teams even include owling...)
- • 4-hour Guided Teams (4 hours of fast birding fun! Teams in this category can also choose how they look for birds.)
- • Big-Sit 4-hour Guided Teams (Perfect for those who want to do some relaxing bird watching.)
- • 24-hour Photography Teams (4-24 hours of photographing birds.)
- • 4-hour Photography (0-4 hours of photographing birds.)
24-Hour Guided Public Teams
• Peninsula Plovers with Rob Furrow on Saturday, April 1 from 6:00AM - 6:00PM (may start earlier if team members are interested in owling)
Do you ever wish your big days had more ocean views? This all-day San Mateo county big day will start with seabirds and lush riparian around Pescadero, work north to the hyper-productive Pillar Point Harbor, then use the remainder of the day to explore mountain and bayside habitats. Come be an April fool with us! 120+ species.
• Persistent Picidaes with Lisa Myers on Saturday, April 8 from 8:00AM - 1:00PM
This 24-hour counting team will start at McClellan ranch and stay close to that part of the county.
• Rock Wrens with Bob Hirt on Sunday, April 23 from 5:30AM - 7:30PM
We start at Page Mill and 1-280 listening for owls, carpool and end up there at day's end after a full SC Valley loop route. We hope for 140 species for the day and to be one of the top fund raising teams again. We are always looking for energetic and generous birding team members.
• Varied Twitchers with Mike Rogers on Saturday, April 29, 4:00AM - 9:00PM
This is a high intensity day with one of the Bay Area's premier birders, Mike Rogers. Start your big day early with owling and continue until sunset. This team has a history of seeing a huge number of species (160+) so join this team today and become part of the legend!
4-Hour Guided Public Teams
• Mean Green Birding Machines with Rob Furrow on Saturday, March 25 from 7:30AM - 11:30AM
Go green and go mean! This whirlwind bayside biking adventure starts by Crittenden Marsh and heads over to Charleston Slough, encompassing a surprising array of habitats. The MGBM will bike roughly 10 miles at a moderate pace. It's not about speed, it's about enthusiasm for the birds! High-performance road bikes are not recommended for these trails - use your own judgement. 80+ species.
• Cupertino Creek Cruisers with Deborah Jamison Sunday, April 2, 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Join this leisurely 4 hour stroll along Cupertino's restored Stevens Creek, including McClellan Ranch Preserve, Blackberry Farm, and Stocklmeir Farm.
• Insider's Guide to East Bay Birding with Glen Tepke on Sunday, April 9 from 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Experience some of the best birding spots of the East Bay with someone who knows - Glen Tepke, a Golden Gate Audubon field trip leader and frequent winner of their Birdathon! Glen will lead you on a four-hour visit through Garin and Coyote Hills Regional Parks in Southern Alameda County, where you'll experience a wide range of land and water birds. This trip will entail a couple of miles of walking on mostly flat and easy trails. Both parks have $5 entrance fees.
• Tax-on-o-me with Ralph Schardt on Saturday, April 15 from 8:30AM-12:30PM
A beginning birder's team that will start at McClellan Ranch and head over to the Bay for 4-hours of fun, easy birding.
• Fledglings TBD