We owe the success of our chapter to our many dedicated volunteers! There are a wide variety of opportunities in education, conservation, and organizational support, as an individual or on a committee. Our staff will work with you to find activities that match your interests, skills, and availability. As a volunteer, you can learn new skills, explore areas of interest, meet other people, and feel a sense of accomplishment. Check out our Volunteer Spotlight to see some of the incredible volunteers behind SCVAS.
Please contact our Education and Outreach Manager at (408) 627-7172 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any specific questions about volunteering.
Pressing Volunteer Needs
Check out our most immediate and pressing volunteer needs.
- • Adult Education Classes Plan and organize educational programs for adults under the guidance of the Education Committee.
- • Conservation Action Alert Network Receive alert emails when action is required on an important conservation issue. To subscribe to or unsubscribe from the Conservation Action Alert Network, simply fill out this online form.
- • Bird Counts Participate in Winter (Christmas) and Summer Counts for Santa Clara Valley Audubon's four count circles: Palo Alto, San Jose, Calero-Morgan Hill, and Mount Hamilton. More...
- • Cavity Nesters Recovery Program Volunteers establish and monitor nest box trails for cavity-nesting birds and report nesting activity. More...
- • Wetlands Discovery Program Docents (WDP) Help elementary students explore and learn about birds, habitats, and ecology in classrooms and field trips as a docent. Also help develop educational presentation materials used by staff, volunteers, and outside educators. Read more Volunteer Information (PDF). View our WDP Calendar of upcoming programs.
- • Young Audubon Program Organize events, field trips, and excursions for children and their families outside of the classroom. More...
- • Event Support and Hospitality Provide support for events: organizing events, setting and cleaning up, welcoming attendees, or assisting with many other tasks.
- • Field Trip Leader Lead a free recurring or one-time-only birding field trip for local beginner or expert birders.
- • Library Maintain our extensive library, including processing and re-shelving books and updating catalogues.
- • Office Assistant Help with various office tasks, including data entry, photocopying, promotional mailings, and Nature Shop inventory.
- • Technology Support Help maintain and improve our technological capacity and equipment to support our many programs.
- • Newsletter Support Help pursue stories, organize, edit, and publish our newsletter, The Avocet.
- • Education Committee Plan and implement our education programs and activities for schoolchildren, families, and adults.
- • Environmental Action Committee Get involved in our many conservation efforts. Evaluate and set conservation policies for our chapter. Take action to promote those policies in our community.
- • Diversity Committee Work to engage and better serve members of underrepresented populations and communities.
- • Field Trip Committee Support and organize field trips for both adults and children.
- • Spring Birdathon Committee Help plan and execute our yearly Spring Birdathon fundraiser and contest.
- • Membership Committee Maintain and increase our membership, coordinate membership drives and attend outreach events. Maintain the membership database, updating records and generating renewal notices.
- • Speaker Series Committee Coordinate and promote our free monthly Speaker Series featuring scientists, photographers, authors, international travelers and others.
- • Fundraising Committee Plan and execute fundraising strategies to support our mission.
- • Finance Committee Review our chapter budget, expenses, income, and investments. Make fiscal recommendations to the Board of Directors to maintain chapter solvency.
- • Board of Directors Help define the long-range goals and direction of our chapter, make important policy decisions and maintain fiscal solvency.
For more information about volunteering, please apply.
Complete the form below and our Education and Outreach Manager will contact you with more information about volunteering.
Last modified November 2017.